Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Day 28: I meant to post this yesterday...

     I had every intention of posting this yesterday, because I wrote it during lunch, and then my afternoon got so busy that I completely forgot until we were at Bass Hall...So...Technically this still counts as Day 28 so we're all good :)
     Ah I feel so revitalized on my little veggie Detox J I feel like I ate all day yesterday, but it was all fresh veggies so it was totally guilt free. I’m really glad I like raw vegetables (or vegetables for that matter) because I can’t imagine trying to eat healthy eating something I didn’t like.
     I’m listening to the Britney Spears “In The Zone” album circa 2003 and it really takes me back to Freshman Year of college. So bizarre that it was almost 8 years ago when I moved to Baton Rouge and started what I thought was my “Big Girl” life. HA! I love how certain songs take you back to specific memories.
     So yesterday one of my coworkers brought us some Sweet Potato Pound Cake for breakfast…it has sweet potatoes, which are vegetables, so I decided that it was ok to eat! Whoops! It was SO GOOD! I have attached the recipe at the bottom…the nutrition facts are a bit daunting, but that’s why you should only eat one slice in the morning instead of 5 after dinner : ) It does come with a  recipe for an orange glaze, but my coworker didn’t glaze it and neither will I. It takes like Christmas…almost like pumpkin pie, but a bit different. I was so dense and moist…Mmmm!
     After having cake guilt, I started pondering what to make to redeem myself for dinner. I came up with a recipe for Stuffed Portobello Caps. You can really stuff it with anything you want, but I used ingredients that I knew we had at the house. They turned out so yummy and only had 258 cals per serving (2 caps), so I was very pleased.
Stuffed Portobello Caps
Ingredients
4 Portobello Mushroom Caps
4 Asparagus Spears
5 Cherry Tomatoes, Quartered
1/3 C Brown Rice, Prepared
1 Small Can Sliced Black Olives
½ C Crumbled Feta, Plus A Little Extra for Sprinkling
1 Tbsp Garlic, minced
1 tsp Oregano
1 tsp Basil
½  tsp Rosemary
½ tsp Thyme
TT Salt & Pepper
EVOO For Brushing
Preparation
Preheat oven to 400F.
Clean the mushroom caps and pull out the stem. I usually peel off the top layer of the mushroom so that’s its more tender. Just barely pull up on the underside of the cap where the “gills’ are, and the skin should peel away. Place mushrooms on cookie tray and set aside.
Prepare the rice according to direction. While rice is cooking, finely slice the asparagus and add to a sauté pan with garlic, a drizzle of EVOO, and tomatoes. Sauté until veggies are soft. Season with S&P and herbs.
Once the rice is finished, mixed in with the veggies, and then add the ½ C Cheeses, folding in the ingredients thoroughly.
Lightly drizzle the mushrooms with olive oil on both sides. I seasoned the inside of the cap with some Greek Seasoning and Lemon Pepper, then a bit of salt. Place 2-3 spoonfuls of the mixture into each cap and spread out so the entire cap is covered. Use as much or as little as need. Sprinkle with remaining Feta, another little drizzle of EVOO, S&P, and place in oven.
Cook time 10-15, depending on the texture you like your mushrooms.
Sweet Potato Pound Cake
Ingredients
1 C Butter, Softened
2 C Sugar
4 Eggs
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
3 C All Purpose Flour
2 tsp Baking Powder
1 tsp Ground Cinnamon
½ tsp Baking Soda
¼ tsp Salt
¼ tsp Ground Nutmeg
2 C Cold Mashed Sweet Potatoes
Preparation
In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy, with a beater.
Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each one. Add vanilla.
Combine the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, salt and nutmeg – add to creamed mixture alternately with sweet potatoes. Beat until just combined (the batter will be stiff).
Pour into a greased and floured 10 in fluted tube pan (see pic) and bake at 350F for 50-60 minutes. Use a toothpick to check baking…insert into middle of the cake and if it comes out clean, the cake is finished!
*Nutrition Facts*
Serving Size 12 Slices – Nutrition Facts PER Slice: Cals – 440, Fat – 17g, Sat Fat – 11g, Trans Fat – 0g, Cholesterol – 120mg, Sodium – 230mg, Carbs – 65g, Fiber – 2g, Sugars – 36g, Protein – 6g, Vit A – 140%, Vit C – 10%, Ca – 4%, Fe – 10%

No comments:

Post a Comment