Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Day 15: Humpy Hap Day!

     The only thing getting me through this week is know that I only have to work three days next week…Hallelujah! Today has been rough because one team member called in sick, leaving us with three including my boss, and now my boss has been gone for over 2 hours and I don’t know where he is and all I want is to go home EARLY!? I wish that you were able to work until you were finished, whether it be 8 hours or 5 hours, and then you could go home…while still getting paid your regular salary of course! In my dreams I suppose. I always say that we need to win the lottery, but I never play, so, it’s really stupid of me to always say that. However, I do not have any desire to spend my hard earned $1 on something that is likely improbable.

     Tonight is a dinner/movie date with some friends, then tomorrow is mani/pedi day with mi madre and Friday night is Joe T’s with some other friends! Hopefully the rest of the work week will fly by so I can get to my fun evenings! J is being spoiled this week by getting to play golf at both Shady Oaks and Colonial, so while he is having fun, I a sitting here at  my desk stewing in jealousy! I wish that we could work outside. It would really make me day much more enjoyable.

     I saw this headline on yahoo yesterday and the story cracked me up! Some people must have an easy life when little things like this make them angry: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42193162/ns/travel-news/?GT1=43001

     I think I have hit the point of being a vegetarian where I become insatiable. I feel like I cant eat enough right now! Almost every night this week after we have eaten dinner, I’ve  microwaved two new potatoes and mashed them up with salt and Louisiana Hot Sauc. Yes, you read that right. New potatoes are all I have been craving; that and eggs. The eggs make sense to me because they are protein, the new potatoes, however, came out of left field.  I wonder if this is common for people who are cutting meat protein out of the diet. I should definitely do some more research about that. I think that I have already talked myself into ordering a margherita pizza at the Movie Tavern tonight, because they really aren’t that veggie friendly, and there veggie sandwich cannot complete with the delicious one I get at Central Market. Last night, I added mozzarella to my veggie sandwich creation and it was amazing. I can’t believe I had never thought to do that…must be the intense craving to get some protein in my body.

     Due to my intense need for protein at the moment, I am going to post a recipe that is FULL of protein, simple to make, and of course, tasty.

Grilled Vegetable Salad

Ingredients

1 Lb Firm Tofu, Drained
¾ C Italian Salad Dressing (Walden Farms )
12 oz Summer Squash, Yellow, Halved Lengthwise and Cut in 2in Pieces
2 Bell Peppers, Orange and Red, Quartered and Seeded
½ C Quinoa
½ C Quick Cooking Barley
½ C Spinach

Directions

 
Cut tofu lengthwise into 8 slices, about 1/2 inch thick. Place tofu in shallow baking dish; pour 1/4 cup of the dressing over tofu. Place vegetables in a large self-sealing plastic bag set in a deep bowl. Pour 3 tablespoons of the remaining dressing over vegetables. Close bag, turning to coat. Chill tofu and vegetables 4 to 24 hours, turning occasionally. Cover and refrigerate remaining dressing.

Remove tofu from dressing, discarding dressing. Drain vegetables, reserving dressing. Grill vegetables on rack of an uncovered grill directly over medium heat for 6 to 8 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender, turning occasionally. Grill tofu on grill rack directly over medium heat 4 to 6 minutes, turning once, or until lightly browned. Remove tofu from grill. Cut into triangles. Set aside.

In a large bowl combine squash and peppers. Add reserved dressing. Toss to coat. Set vegetables aside.

Meanwhile, in a 2-quart pan bring 2 cups water to boiling. Place quinoa in a fine sieve and rinse under running water. Add quinoa and barley to pan. Return to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, 15 minutes or until water is nearly absorbed and grains are tender. Drain.

In a large bowl gently toss grains with shredded sorrel and remaining chilled dressing. Serve quinoa with vegetables and tofu.. Makes 6 main-dish servings.

*Note* Look for quinoa near the grains on your supermarket shelf or health food stores.

*Nutrition Facts*
Servings Per Recipe: Calories – 202, Fat – 5g, Sat Fat – 1g, Cholesterol – 2mg, Sodium – 306mg, Carb - 31g, Fiber – 5g, Protein – 9g, Vit A – 16%, Vit C – 154%, Ca – 4%, Fe – 16%






 

No comments:

Post a Comment